I will never forget the day when my mute heart spoke….no…. sang!
The church was softly lit and the stage set for a Christmas concert. I came prepared to celebrate the "season". I didn't come prepared for a life-changing moment.
Calvary's worship leader, Tim Hathaway, the music team, and choir led the service--a Christmas-themed worship service, honoring the Savior child who humbly came. As the drums began their steadfast intro of the last song, I was intrigued for I didn't recognize the tune. Slowly, with reverent, soft voices the song began:
Hear the heart of Heaven beating, "Jesus saves. Jesus saves."
And the hush of mercy breathing, "Jesus saves. Jesus saves."
Hear the host of angels sing, "Glory to the newborn King."
And the sounding joy repeating, "Jesus saves."
Wait…I did. I heard the heart beating. Softly. Steadily. The Heart of Heaven beat for me. Lived…for me. And mercy…this hard heart was so undeserving of mercy. But I could hear it…I could feel it…the hush of mercy as it breathed through the fibers of my being.
See the humblest hearts adore Him, "Jesus saves. Jesus saves."
And the wisest bow before Him, "Jesus saves. Jesus saves."
See the sky alive with praise, melting darkness in its blaze.
There is light forevermore in, "Jesus saves."
Jesus Saves… "Lord, the night I am stumbling through is very dark. Can you save this proud, foolish girl?"
He will live our sorrow sharing, "Jesus saves. Jesus saves."
He will die our burden bearing, "Jesus saves. Jesus saves."
"It is done!" will shout the cross; Christ has paid redemption's cost!
While the empty tomb's declaring, "Jesus saves."
As the song began to crescendo, my stony heart began to thaw with this conscious awareness: He knows! He knew the sorrow I carried. He bore those burdens that I like to haul on my weak back.
It is done. It is done??? Yes. It. Is. Finished. I should know this…I have been a Christian for a long time. I humbly and regretfully realized in that moment how far I had removed myself from that cross. When I grabbed my burdens, my sorrows and defiantly looked into the face of God and told Him that I could have done it better. That my life would have been easier without His interference. That maybe I didn't want to serve Him anymore. That it hurt too much…
It is done. It is done??? Yes. It. Is. Finished. I should know this…I have been a Christian for a long time. I humbly and regretfully realized in that moment how far I had removed myself from that cross. When I grabbed my burdens, my sorrows and defiantly looked into the face of God and told Him that I could have done it better. That my life would have been easier without His interference. That maybe I didn't want to serve Him anymore. That it hurt too much…
Freedom's calling, chains are falling, hope is dawning bright and true.
Day is breaking, night is quaking, God is making all things new.
Freedom's calling, chains are falling, hope is dawning bright and true;
Day is breaking, night is quaking, God is making all things new. "Jesus saves."
Did you see it? Did you hear it? Freedom's calling….Freedom's calling…Freedom's calling …I could hear it.
"Stacie, don't carry that pain anymore. You can be free!"
I can't even type these words without crying! Why? Because in that moment, swirled in with all the doubt was a ribbon of truth that I could not, cannot, walk away from even in the midst of disappointing, despairing moments. I knew, yes, I KNOW, that my God is good even when circumstances around me seem to indicate otherwise. I chose to walk away from that truth and wallow in my own pitiful attempts to transform my world.
Chains are falling….The truth hit me. I did not have to lug my chains of brokenness and heartache any more. Hope is dawning…God is making all things new.
"Stacie, don't carry that pain anymore. You can be free!"
I can't even type these words without crying! Why? Because in that moment, swirled in with all the doubt was a ribbon of truth that I could not, cannot, walk away from even in the midst of disappointing, despairing moments. I knew, yes, I KNOW, that my God is good even when circumstances around me seem to indicate otherwise. I chose to walk away from that truth and wallow in my own pitiful attempts to transform my world.
Chains are falling….The truth hit me. I did not have to lug my chains of brokenness and heartache any more. Hope is dawning…God is making all things new.
With uncontrollable sobs and tears streaming down my face, I seized the moment.
"God make me new! Forgive me for failing to see Your hand in my life. Forgive me for doubting, forgive me for selfishly going ahead of You, for blaming You and for not trusting You.
Renew my hope in You."
"God make me new! Forgive me for failing to see Your hand in my life. Forgive me for doubting, forgive me for selfishly going ahead of You, for blaming You and for not trusting You.
Renew my hope in You."
And in that very precious and tender moment, I felt the chains fall.
O to grace, how great a debtor! "Jesus saves, Jesus saves."
All the saints who shout together, "Jesus saves. Jesus saves."
Rising up so vast and strong, lifting up salvation's song,
The redeemed will sing forever, "Jesus saves."
To Grace how Great a Debtor....to grace...to grace.
Gratitude overflowed and overwhelmed my heart.
Rising up…lifting up salvation's song. As my victorious heart joined in the final stanza, I knew then that I would lift my voice in song again. For what other song is there to sing?
Gratitude overflowed and overwhelmed my heart.
Rising up…lifting up salvation's song. As my victorious heart joined in the final stanza, I knew then that I would lift my voice in song again. For what other song is there to sing?
The song of a Savior, the song of salvation.
And did you catch that last line? The redeemed will sing forever….
… because of the Cross…because Jesus Saves…..because of Grace.
I once was lost, but now am found….
1 comment:
What a beautiful reminder of God's graceand mercy toward us. The Lord knew exactly what I needed to hear tonight. Thank you, my dear daughter, for being obedient to the Lord. Never, ever, let go of the One who loves you the most...and you thought it was me!!! Just kidding!
Post a Comment