Monday, January 24, 2011

Alotau Woman's Daybook

For Today...Monday, January 24, 2011


Outside my window...A background of grey skies and seas in the midst of a lush green landscape.



I am thinking...about ways to build friendships with territorial brothers. In a moment of frustration, I am thinking of putting them all in one room!!! I won’t, but the thought crossed my mind.



I am wearing...a purple shirt and tie-dyed lap-lap (wrap around skirt), those same beaded flip-flops, and my purple-rimmed glasses. The contacts have not been put in yet.



I am praying for...Friends of friends-- Pastor Dala and his wife Henoa--she a mother of 7 who is on life-support and is being given until next Sunday before she is taken off life support. Praying for a sign of life, for movement…for hope. Praying for this father as he struggles with this heartache and challenge.



I am going...to see the proud handiwork of Luke, one of our carpenter friends who has been working on a new building in our neighborhood.



From the learning rooms...Eagle of the Ninth read-aloud, Sodom and Gomorrah, Latin neuter noun endings, Dangerous Journey book reports, factoring and canceling fractions, multiplication, and continuing our Venus study.



I am thankful for...children who sing while building legos.


I am remembering...My Uncle Joe and how much he loves Green Bay. Go Packers!


From the kitchen...Dad’s eggs for breakfast, toasted ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch, and chicken n’ dumplings for dinner.



I am reading...A Godward Life by John Piper



I am hoping...that my copy of 1000 Gifts arrives SOON! I have never looked forward to a book as much as this one!  I am wishing I could participate in the Bloom Book Club vlog.  If only I had more bandwidth...



I am creating...ewww….this is not my forte. Other than my daily efforts to create peaceful spaces, quiet places, and tender moments, I don’t create much. I hope to have something to show for this someday….Maybe nothing to hang on my wall, but some positive results.




On my mind...  the beauty of a “dead” language and how alive we have found Latin in so much of our reading of late.




Noticing that...my coffee does taste good without sugar. I must be growing up. (Though I still like a lot of milk.)



Pondering these words..."Why are our efforts at evangelism often abortive? Because the church has lost its awareness that it is a household of God into which we are to invite the weary and downtrodden, in spirit as well as in body. Somewhere in the history of the church—perhaps because of our growing affluence, which made it possible “to do it by ourselves,” certainly in response to the Western democratic emphasis on autonomy and personal independence—the sense of the community was lost to believers. When this concept of “shared lives” became a mystery to us, we began to exist as individuals with arbitrary commitments to a body of believers that is no longer others-focused enough to give invitation to the distressed.” From Open Heart, Open Home by Karen Mains



I am hearing...the sizzle of butter in the pan as Tim makes his gourmet omelets and “plain old fried eggs” for those of us who love them.



Around the house...clean dishes in the drainer. Thanks, friend, for washing up with me after our Welcome Home Crew celebration.


One of my favorite things...a light rain and the sound of waves ushering in the morning.



A few plans for the rest of the week...The boat heading out today without Tim —woohoo! as it takes translators Rainier and Sabina to their village, dinner with our friend Arel, a local store manager, who blesses our family with his kind words and serving hands, and a goodbye to a sweet family as they head back to their village.


Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...


Munching Moon Pies from a recent Marvelous Care Package
Thanks Tommy and Karen!


1 comment:

hiskid said...

Stacie, I love your way with words. You have such a wonderful gift of writing from your heart! Even though we are so far away from each other and living such different lives our season of life is very much the same. The everyday struggles of maintaining and creating ways to teach love and gentleness among siblings. I love your idea of a daybook.
We are rejoicing Tim and the crew made it home safely. Our family is praying for all of you daily. I am so encouraged through your transparent heart, your love for God's people in a far away place and creative ways to follow the command of hospitality. You are a blessing!
Sending much love to all of you!
Cindy and the Fulbright clan!