"A noted scientist observing that "early voyagers fancied that the coral-building animals instinctively built up the great circles of the Atoll Islands to afford themselves protection in the inner parts," has disproved this fancy by showing that the insect builders can only live and thrive fronting the open ocean, and in the highly aerated foam of its resistless billows. So it has been commonly thought that protected ease is the most favorable condition of life, whereas all the noblest and strongest lives prove on the contrary that the endurance of hardship is the making of the men, and the factor that distinguishes between existence and vigorous vitality. Hardship makes character." From L.B. Cowman's Streams in the Desert
Whew! Tough words for me. I certainly don't enjoy difficult times, and in fact, don't know too many people who do. I find that when I go through those times, I tend to either stoically trust in my unseen God, or whine and cry like an immature child who did not get her way. I have much to learn though I don't desire to go through refining hardships. And yet, we are not promised smooth sailing on this life journey. Rather, we are offered encouragement and offered a Guiding Hand through the trials that are guaranteed to come.
“Here on earth, you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
I find these words even more difficult when I see them through my “mom eyes”. Have you ever heard the sobs of a sweet 10 year old girl as she faces a disappointment in life? Ever witnessed the silent tears and chest rise and fall of a heartbroken man-child who still houses a tender heart? Seen a 7 year old tearfully and angrily question a God who lets him “hurt his foot on a stone?” Hardship makes character and yes, I desire the strength of character which sets my children apart from the status quo.
but… must my beloved children be battered by unrelenting waves of pain and disappointment? Must they be tossed by the surf of doubt and disillusionment? Must they, too, get caught in the undertow of helplessness in the face of loss and sorrow? Yes, I am called to pull the anchor and trust the Lord to work in the lives of my children--to use their hardships to build their character.
And then I wonder…how God sees us through his “Dad eyes”. As He watches His precious children go through life’s most difficult challenges, knowing, knowing that in the end it will all be worth it. He sees beyond what we see; beyond what we can grasp in trial time. For in the end, we come up with the strength of character that gives us a greater faith, an empathetic ear, giving hands, immeasurable compassion, and grace….more grace…because don’t we all need more grace?
Praying for His eyes…
Whew! Tough words for me. I certainly don't enjoy difficult times, and in fact, don't know too many people who do. I find that when I go through those times, I tend to either stoically trust in my unseen God, or whine and cry like an immature child who did not get her way. I have much to learn though I don't desire to go through refining hardships. And yet, we are not promised smooth sailing on this life journey. Rather, we are offered encouragement and offered a Guiding Hand through the trials that are guaranteed to come.
“Here on earth, you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart because I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
I find these words even more difficult when I see them through my “mom eyes”. Have you ever heard the sobs of a sweet 10 year old girl as she faces a disappointment in life? Ever witnessed the silent tears and chest rise and fall of a heartbroken man-child who still houses a tender heart? Seen a 7 year old tearfully and angrily question a God who lets him “hurt his foot on a stone?” Hardship makes character and yes, I desire the strength of character which sets my children apart from the status quo.
but… must my beloved children be battered by unrelenting waves of pain and disappointment? Must they be tossed by the surf of doubt and disillusionment? Must they, too, get caught in the undertow of helplessness in the face of loss and sorrow? Yes, I am called to pull the anchor and trust the Lord to work in the lives of my children--to use their hardships to build their character.
And then I wonder…how God sees us through his “Dad eyes”. As He watches His precious children go through life’s most difficult challenges, knowing, knowing that in the end it will all be worth it. He sees beyond what we see; beyond what we can grasp in trial time. For in the end, we come up with the strength of character that gives us a greater faith, an empathetic ear, giving hands, immeasurable compassion, and grace….more grace…because don’t we all need more grace?
Praying for His eyes…

No comments:
Post a Comment