Monday, December 3, 2007

Kwadima II - Relief supplies to Oro Province














This weekend we sent out the boat on the first of two scheduled relief runs to areas up on the north coast that are trying to recover from Cyclone Guba. Several of the translation teams we support work in areas that were heavily impacted by large-scale flooding. Rivers rose to unprecedented levels taking out large chunks of villages and low lying gardens. Massive rainfall caused mudslides that buried many gardens planted on hillsides. The people in these areas are subsistence farmers relying primarily on their banana, sweet potato, and taro crops to feed their families.

Pray for Maisin people living near the coast, and also the Maiwa people of Biniguni, a village further inland. A first-hand report from the translator in Biniguni village is that the flooding caused 3 deaths, 50 out of 80 houses are gone, the gardens (and the whole village) are buried in about a foot of mud, and the river shifted its course several hundred meters and now runs down the middle of what had been the active airstrip.

Thankfully, some government relief supplies have been brought in. However, that supplemented by the "band-aid" of four tons of rice we took out on this trip are just scratching the surface of what will certainly be a long recovery process.

















12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your blog! I will certainly check it regularly and I am so excited to be able to keep up with you all this way! God Bless You All! Diana

Big Sister said...

welcome to the blog world. This will make it much easier for us to keep up with you!!! If you clink on my name (Holly L) you'll be taken to our blog. To load pictures save the ones you want to your desktop temporarily and click the little picture square next to the the check spelling icon. You'll know what to do from there. We looking forward to keeping in touch with you through the blog world!! XOXO

Anonymous said...

hey guys!!!
what a cool set up! -- good job! we will check it often. we should start a blog too, huh? only it wouldn't be as interesting as y'alls'.
The Lord bless each of you today,
lot's of love and prayers from us.
phil and fam.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how to use Google Talk, just set up an account. What's the time difference between us? Anyway it may be unnecessary - we were suppose to hear from the Pastor today and nothing... We've sent an email so we'll see what happens tomorrow. Don't worry about not getting back we know things are crazy with the many, many hats you are wearing.

Anonymous said...

Great Job!!! I really enjoy reading your blog and seeing the pictures! I have to admit, I can see why we didn't go. I would have sweated to death, I believe. The boat looks great. Praying for you and yours. Lynn Hyman

Anonymous said...

Just got your picture CD in the mail today and the e-mail re: your new BLOG site! Great idea. We will still keep trying the Phone lines too.

Anonymous said...

We will read the blog be it pink or green. We love you guys and were just talking about our appreciation of you with Kenny Merrifield. We are back in the Dallas church, what a joy. Blessings to you. John and Judy Boedeker

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys!
Cool to catch up with you this way. I think at the moment we'd rather be sweating with you than enjoying this cold nasty Philadelphia weather. Must be the Miami coming out in us.
Love you guys!
Jim and Dani

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacie (and) Tim!

This is great to be added to your blog! I love reading the updates and can get a feel of what you are doing. My dad and Jackie just got back from PNG, so I know how much rain ya'll have been getting.
It's not always a bad thing running around bottomless! I'm sure 3/4 of MK's did! (and Brittany Spears thinks it's all good also!)good laugh for those that keep up in the news.
Anyways, we are praying for you and your family. Merry Christmas!-
Valerie Braswell

Anonymous said...

McIntosh family it is great to have a way to keep up with you guys and send you little notes. You are always in our prayers and we miss you. Love to all.

Anonymous said...

It is always wonderful hearing from you guys. I will be watching for your postings
love and miss you much!! Aunt Judy

TakesaVillage said...

Hi Stacie,Tim & Family,
Your blog is going into all the world...
Great hearing from Pastor John and Judy.
Praying for you,
Bill & Patricia