Last night Tim and I watched a movie. A Love Story…Just the two of us. Curled up under the covers with the laptop at the foot of the bed we cuddled, conversed and viewed the screen as the story unfolded. Now, no spoiler here, but as the movie played out and the characters developed, I could sense that maybe, (but surely not!) this movie wasn’t going to have a happy ending.
I can usually work out the possibilities of a good ending to a story but I just could not figure out how to bring this one to a neat, satisfying close. In the end, I knew that there would be heartbreak. But I kept hoping, hoping that all would end well. As the unavoidable tragic end came I sat there with tears streaming down my cheeks and a declaration in my heart—I hate unhappy endings to movies. Especially love stories.
Now I know that life is not always neatly tied up with happy ending bows. But I realized as I watched this film that I so wanted it to have the perfect happy ending. I wanted them to live “Happily Ever After.”
And not just in the movies…I want our lives to end well, as well. Shouldn’t every story have a happy ending?
Tragically, I have seen broken marriages that move beyond a point of ever being restored. I have heard the cries, the aches of barren wombs and empty arms that long for a child to hold. I have seen the hollow eyes and bitter hearts of those who have said too soon and sometimes forever goodbyes.
Those are the endings--real-life tragic endings of a fallen people.
And yet…I know the Author of these stories has written a happy ending.
Happy? Well… Victorious. Joyous.
So, with that said, give me a Cinderella story any day. And don’t try to convince me that it is just a fairy tale. Because, truly, isn’t that real life? Loss, poverty, hardship, ruins, cruel “sisters” and wicked “step-mothers” exist in all of our lives. Yet…a Prince awaits. He is looking for the one He loves. And though He knows how great His love for us is…we often return to the ashes.
To our comfort zones, because as we are, we feel unworthy.
Still, He searches the land to find what He offers—a perfect fit.
Come to Me, all you who are weary and heavy-laden. Matt. 11:28
Come. Come dance. Come spend an evening….no… a lifetime.
With expectant hearts we go, hoping to be chosen—to be cherished.
To our and His delight, it is love at first sight!
Parting the crowd, He reaches out for you, for me. We forget where we came from—what we came out of—as we tenuously step into His embrace. For a moment we savor the thrill of His arms around us—holding us close, dreaming of forever.
And the clock begins its climb to the stroke of midnight.
BONG!...
1: Doubt “Is God really good? If so, then why is there so much suffering in this world?”
2: Deceit “There are many ways to your God.”
3: Darkness “Your sins are many…the lie might be forgiven, but the addiction, adultery, abhorrent heart…never.”
4: Disillusionment “You’ve prayed for a long time. He must not hear.”
5: Dismissal “God could not love you. He doesn’t have the time. Nor does He really care.”
6: Disappointment “Everyone has let you down. Even the God you claim to follow.”
7: Death “Did your God care enough to heal your child?” “Why did He allow cancer to win?”
8: Defiance “Who is He to run your life? Be your own person. Be in control.”
9: Distrust “He said He would never leave you nor forsake you but you have lost your job, your health, your family.”
10: Desolation “There is no God. There is no hope.”
11: Depression “You will never be good enough. Nothing you can do or say will erase your past. ”
12: Despair “You are worthless; scarcely covered in filthy, sin-stained rags, torn and tattered with unforgiveable shame.”
... BONG! BONG! BONG! BONG! BONG! BONG! BONG! BONG! BONG! BONG! BONG!
And we run, stumbling, tripping, with tear-stained faces back to our ashes.
Is your fairy tale like this?
Perhaps…but I ask, is this the end of your story? Is it the end of mine?
I have wallowed in ashes. I have listened to the deceiver who offers nothing but the alliteration of lies leading to the depths of despair.
It is not how the story goes...for you or for me. It is not “The End” time. Because, despite our ash wallowing, there is a proclamation sounding throughout the land.
“I have loved you with an everlasting love…” Jer. 31:3
“I have come to seek and to save those who are lost.” Luke 19:10
Though we may hide, though we may be locked inside a hopeless heart, the Prince comes. And he comes to our cinder-covered rags and pushing aside doubt, deception, and darkness he offers us crystal clear hope.
The hope that whispers to a hurting heart.
The hope that speaks to a wounded spirit.
“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” Jer. 29:11
As we hesitatingly point our toes towards the shoe we catch it…a glimmer, a sparkle, a light…
• The Clear Chronicle of a God who loved us from the beginning.
• The Clarity of His Word as it re-nourishes and renews with its ancient words.
• The Lucid Love Language of a Father who gave His only Son to redeem our lives.
• A Spotless Savior who sacrificed His life in exchange for our filthy rags.
• The Unveiled Promise of a Future—of Hope
• The Indescribably Pure Peace that comforts during trials, suffering, and yes, even in the face of death.
• The Glint of Grace as it dissipates the darkness--the sins of our past—and mercifully the sins of our present.
Slip into it- the shoe fits. It was perfectly designed to fit you—to fit me--for when we wear Grace, it always feels good.
And we live happily… no, victoriously, joyously ever after.

3 comments:
Wow! I needed a word from God from all the way on the other side of the world so I could hear what someone right here has been saying all along. Funny...how God works, isn't it? Many thoughts and prayers coming to you. Love, Molly
your words are far reaching and I am sharing them with many people who have no hope. We love you, Aunt Judy
Read it at the right time....right moment. Thank you for being the loving daughter that you are. You are such a blessing from the Lord my kindred spirit daughter!!!!
Post a Comment