Friday, February 18, 2011

Alotau Woman's Daybook

For Today...Monday, February 14, 2011


Outside my window...glorious sunshine after a wet, grey day.



I am thinking...that sometimes I need to say “no” even though everything in me wants to say “yes.” I’m also thinking about how hard this is to do.



I am wearing...a purple/pink rayon dress and silver hoop earrings.



I am praying for...my mom and her teacher observation, knowing that she will do a beautiful job—as always. But still praying….



I am going...on a date, a real dress up in my red (and only) fancy dress I brought with me, date. I’m wishing I brought my very impractical but oh so fun 4 inch platforms—even if just for this one night.



From the learning rooms...LOTS going on in the learning rooms this week. We have a new student joining our home learning, we begin a co-op writing program with a few other families in town, Jacob and Esau, Exodus 20 memorization, the Middle Kingdom of Egypt, Mary Poppins read-aloud, fractions, and more fractions, and multiplication of 3’s.



I am thankful for...Sweet, so sweet, valentine cards made by Kylah.


I am remembering...Jason and Brenda, my brother and his wife’s Valentine anniversary. Missing them, loving them, and praying for them.


From the kitchen...homemade granola. I finally found my favorite recipe….but it has more sugar and butter than any others I have found. I guess that must be what makes it so good! Hmmmm….Doesn’t that defeat the point of homemade granola?



I am reading...Walk with Jesus Stations of the Cross by Henri Nouwen



I am hoping...I can recover the last set of pictures missing after I inadvertently pushed the wrong key in Picasa.



I am creating...lesson plans for Hannah, a young girl whose family asked me to consider teaching her as they find the school where she has been attending inadequate and not always safe.



On my mind...labor pains that began at a friend’s wedding 12 years ago.



Noticing that...though I began this on Monday, it is taking me a long time to complete it. Today is now Thursday. It has been one of those crazy, busy weeks: A new student, a slightly new schedule, a birthday, and numerous unexpected drop-ins. How do people, with just as many (or more) children and just as much going on, daily blog??? I admire them greatly.



Pondering these words…”Just as the weights of a grandfather clock, or the stabilizers in a ship, are necessary for them to work properly, so are troubles to the soul. The sweetest perfumes are obtained only through tremendous pressure, the fairest flowers grow on the most isolated and snowy peaks, the most beautiful gems are those that have suffered the longest at the jeweler’s wheel, and the most magnificent statues have endured the most blows from the chisel.” From Streams in the Desert


I am hearing...Weston singing “I have decided to follow Jesus” over and over again…precious.



Around the house...marbles—and lots of them.



One of my favorite things...the smell of home in a care package. I was laughing recently as I watched Kylah stick her head in the emptied package and just breath in deep, exclaiming, “I love this smell. It smells like America.”



A few plans for the rest of the week... a writing co-op class, a 12 year old birthday party sleep-over bash complete with outdoor games, homemade pizza, movies…and very little sleep, and dinner in with some of the VITAL mentors.



Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...


Austin enjoys coconut crepes for his birthday breakfast.


2 comments:

Choate Family said...

Oh, he is still such a cutie!

Janice said...

I am so sad that I didn't get to be with Austin on his birthday.