Double digits came upon us faster than we wanted. I’m fine now as I write this, but I was a teary-eyed basket case around the time of Austin’s birthday. I am extremely thankful for the blessing of a decade. A decade of laughter, good health, new experiences, teaching moments, crazy goof-off moments, dreaming, planning and sharing in the day-to-day of our amazing son Austin. I have much for which to be thankful, but there was that sinking feeling of knowing that the next decade will bring changes that I am not ready for. The day when he no longer sits in my lap or asks to come snuggle with him in his bed. The day when he doesn’t need me to tend to his wounds or “Read one more chapter, Mom!” The day when he comes back from a trip and doesn’t throw his arms around me and say “I missed you the most, mom!” With a burning throat and tears in my eyes, I know those days have to come….and should come. I know that letting go is a part of the next season. I am praying for wisdom in helping my son on his journey to manhood. I don’t want to hinder his passage in any way by holding on too tightly….but on his 10 year old birthday, as we walked through town, he reached for my hand and held on.
My heart soared and I tucked that cherished memory into my heart.


1 comment:
Oh Stacie! Thanks for the tears. I know EXACTLY how you feel! The twins are growing up so fast. I can hardly stand it....Wish I could keep them all "little" forever. You know what makes me feel better though? I had my children so spaced apart that I will most likely never have an "empty house." Think about it. When Khloe turns 13, the girls will be 26. So i figure that I will probably be a grandmother by then! I love it!! Your brother on the other hand was not to excited when I pointed this fact out to him....ha-ha!
Post a Comment