Days like today are when it is the hardest to be so far away from home. Knowing that I won’t be able to wrap my arms around my Dad and tell him “I love you” on Father’s Day does not bring a smile of joy to my face. But, oh, I am so thankful I have many lovely memories shared with my Dad which allow me to reflect joyfully as I think of him today.
Dad is my hero. He can’t fly, can’t scale tall buildings (he’s actually afraid of heights), cries at the drop of a hat, and looks terrible in tights. Yet through different phases of my life he has played the roles of protector, provider, champion, counselor, friend and comforter. No, he has never replaced God in my life but he has taken on characteristics of Christ in his role of Father.
4 and ½ years ago my family went through a very difficult time when my Dad was diagnosed with a brain tumor. It significantly challenged our family in ways we hadn’t before experienced. My Dad had brain surgery and afterwards considered radiation therapy. He then opted out of that, choosing to go with a more natural approach of juicing and organic eating. It was a helpless time filled with uncertainty. How numbered were his days? It’s hard to live as though each day might be the last. Cherished moments became more significant and nevertheless we still forgot to cherish each moment. God, in His grace, offered more days to our family than we ever expected.
Many prayers have been prayed over my Dad these last 4 years and in March of this year, Dad received the results of an MRI stating that the tumor was no longer there. Words do not adequately describe the elation and beautiful relief we have experienced with this diagnosis. We continue to thank God for His healing touch! Please continue to join us in prayer as Dad is still plagued with nocturnal seizures. He does have an appointment this week with a seizure specialist.
More than anything my Dad has taught me about the amazing GRACE of Jesus Christ. Living life as a follower of Christ is not easy. It is, in fact, the biggest struggle of my life. Wanting to honor the Lord and yet, not always wanting to obey Him. The desire to do my own thing without consequence is deceptively alluring.
Dad isn’t perfect and I am so glad he is not. There are some moments I know he would rewind and redo. Boy, can I relate to that. There are words I know he wishes he could have said...or left unsaid. Ahhh, I too, know that feeling. Through the many mountains and valleys I have observed (and often walked with him) in his life, my father has never been forsaken by the Lord. Dad has detoured, turned around, stumbled, gotten lost, and yet he has clung to the never failing love of Jesus, inching forward with his eyes on the goal. He has shown me that growth is not something that happens in a day, a week, a month or a year. Our failures and set-backs aren’t enough to stop the overflow of God’s infinite love and grace. Becoming a reflection of Christ is a life-long process.
I will never forget the words my Dad said the first time Tim and I came to Papua New Guinea on a 1-year assignment more than 10 years ago: “In all our years of moves with the military I have always gone before you. For the first time, I will not be going ahead of you. But the One who made you has already gone before you. Trust Him and depend on Him.”
Thank you Dad for all you do, all you are and for those wise words which I cherish.
Though you are not present with me today, I know that the Lord, my Ultimate Protector, Provider, Champion, Counselor, Friend and Comforter is with me today and in all the days before me.
I’m proud of you Dad! Keep Growing!
Happy Father’s Day! I love you!
Still holding hands after all these years.

2 comments:
That was so beautiful. Thanks for making me cry. Your dad is one of the sweetest men around and you are very blessed to have him. I, myself could not ask for a better father-in-law.
You could have not written that segment any better...Infact, why are you not writing for Hallmark?! I would pay you!
miss you,
Brenda
well said...
from your friend whose dad also battles brain tumors and their lasting effects.
Post a Comment