Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Greenhorn Gardening

I am not a very good gardener. I am a much better market shopper. Honestly, I don't like digging in the dirt. Dirty fingernails make me cringe. Patiently waiting for something to pop up out of the ground is not one of my better virtues. Picking off pesky bugs....well, I need not elaborate.

However, this past year, with great anticipation and fervor and a little inspiration from my favorite blogger Ann Voskamp, we decided to plant a garden. Kylah and I dirtied our hands quite well as we put tomato, green pepper, corn and cauliflower seeds into sprout containers (egg cartons). As the shoots emerged, I did experience the elation of anticipation. When we transfered the plants into the ground I had a deep sense of satisfaction knowing that I had sweated and blistered as we cleared the plot of land to ready it for a garden. Then, we waited. And waited.

As rain and sun fed our seedlings, we measured each day the amount of growth taking place in our garden. Unfortunately, we received lots of rain during this time and some of our plants didn't fare too well. The corn, however, continued to reach towards the sun.


There is something pleasant about seeing the fruits of your labor.  We would venture out each day to our corn garden to see the new growth excitedly anticipating the day when the crop would be ready.

Finally, the corn was ready for picking. It was a grand day as the kids pulled corn off the stalks and we shucked corn.







You can imagine our dismay, after all the labor, when we finally cooked, buttered and tasted our home-grown corn. It had the taste and texture of feedcorn. Oh, what a disappointment.

Thankfully, we had a good laugh and decided that next time we will stick to tomatoes. They seem to be the only thing we can grow.
***
This reminded me of how often we pour our hearts and souls into something only to have the results be less than what we expect. We labor and sacrifice expecting life to turn out perfect but find that it often doesn't. And yet, perhaps the blessing comes in the growth, not the end product.

No comments: