Thursday, March 12, 2009

Weston

My husband sent a letter out this week to our family
Dear folks & fam,

Last week stones, this week…?

As you know, we really need and appreciate your prayers…but after evenings like tonight, we crave them.

I wish I was, but I'm not exaggerating when I say we very nearly lost Westy to choking (AGAIN!) tonight. Just before dinner, he was playing around Kylah who was reading on the couch. We still don’t know what he put in his mouth, but thankfully we both noticed something was wrong. He put his hand in his mouth and squeaked out a little “Ow, ow” before he couldn’t breathe or cry anymore. Stacie got to him first and tried finger sweeps, but found nothing. He quickly went from pink to red to purple as I got him angled face down and kept working on him with combination chest compressions and back blows (which I think are NOT recommended by the “experts” anymore, but when your baby’s unresponsive in your arms you’ll try ANYTHING).

It all felt like an eternal blur, and the whole house (except Lucas who was who knows where) was in a panic, praying and crying hysterically with a total sense of helplessness as Westy’s struggles became listless and he came very close to losing consciousness. It didn’t help the already freaked out family that he began bleeding heavily from his nose from the inverted abuse. I don’t know how long the trauma went on, but I was finally able to force a few breaths in, and eventually he got a couple little cries out (which were barely audible over the chaos). Up until that moment, I was really afraid we might lose him.

Finally, he began crying harder, but it took a while to get strength back in his lungs. As the chorus of wailing turned to sobs of “close-call” relief and thankful prayers, Lucas emerged from oblivion. Then he saw the blood and asked, “What happened to Westy?” If not for the sheer terror of the moment, we probably would have all cracked up when he followed up in classic Lucas style with, “Oh, I thought there was a gigantic cockroach out here or something.”

Please join us in thanking God for his hand of protection and grace, but pray for us as we’re emotionally exhausted and physically drained.

Tim for the (WHOLE!) family

PS. Needless to say, we’ll all be taking a family CPR course when we get back!

No comments: