
Just down the road, within walking distance, is a little village where one literally walks back in time. The houses are very roughly made of natural woven palm fronds, bamboo, or the occasional timber or simple tin cut-offs which are pieced together to make homes. Clothes are hung on lines to dry, dinner is cooked over open fires, and bodies and dishes are washed in the same water that flows from a mountain river where drinking water is also obtained. Most of the people are very poor--squatters who have come from villages in order to get a "better way of life." Many coming to seek education and the means to obtain a higher education for their children. It is not a place of great comfort yet it brings comfort. It is one of my favorite places to visit. I have seen people who are very content even with very little. It is a learning place for me as I share stories with friends who ask for very little but greatly share their hearts.
I have been very humbled when my friends bring over greens or bananas from their gardens to give as a gift of friendship, asking for nothing in return. It is not the usual PNG/expat relationship. As an expat, we are often looked at as rich, white, foreigners and therefore always available for handouts. We often are the target of "I'm poor and hungry" scams.
But I have seen the poor and the hungry and I have watched them smile and generously give of the little they have to offer.
It reminds me of a simple carpenter with few worldly possessions who gave His life....for me.
Our friends Mrs. Nobate and her two daughters, Elffie and Ottima.

No comments:
Post a Comment