It was easy-going early on! We started off just fine, but got off track a bit on a "short cut" on the way up, and by the time we backtracked to the river, and then hiked the rest of the way up the river bed - mostly dry or low, but not without huge boulders and logs - it took us 2.5 hrs to get to the falls! The trip was well worth the effort, and the adventure for all of us was great. The kids were amazing climbers! It was a beautiful sight to finally reach the falls, and we all enjoyed a quick dip in the cool pool before we had to head back down. Thankfully, we were able to find the paths we were initially aiming for, so the trek down only took about an hour.
As we were all hiking I observed some wonderful qualities in my children and I am bursting at the seams with motherly pride.

Three Ambitious Amigos
Austin was not looking forward to the hike. He knew we would be hiking through the rainforest and kept wondering and asking the ‘What-if” questions regarding snake bites and such. In fact, the night before our hike he couldn’t sleep because he was concerned about serpentine encounters. As we hiked, however, a very different person emerged. For most of the hike he was in the lead. I watched him remove spider webs in the path, break up rotten branches with his foot, clear the path for those of us coming behind, and scale giant rocks to assess the area and direct us to the easiest path.
Captain Courageous!
At the end, when Tim went ahead to see if the pool at the base of the waterfall was accessible for swimming, and therefore worth the final steepest, slipperiest, riskiest part of the climb, Austin eagerly joined him in the reconnaissance.

Toughest 50m of the climb
What I saw emerging was a young man growing into a leader. I am so thankful that he didn’t allow his initial fears to paralyze him. Instead, he was able to walk into a potentially dangerous situation and carefully, but courageously, forge the trail.
Sweet Kylah amazes me with her fortitude and her bravery. As she hiked along she was every bit the conqueror. She didn’t shy away from the difficulty of this hike, though she took a fall or three. Some brief tears were shed, and yet she would bounce back quickly after a cuddle from Mom, or a short carry from Dad. She was Rainforest Rose in her pink sun shirt and hot pink Nike cap. Her favorite part was when we reached the waterfall and she jumped in for a swim. I am convinced that had she been able to follow Dad up the rocks she would have jumped from the waterfall. She is a quiet hiker, but we couldn’t help but notice how determined she was to reach the waterfall.
Rainforest Rose in Repose
We questioned bringing Lucas along after our friends described the hike as fairly difficult. However, we knew he would enjoy the adventure and decided to take turns carrying him if need be. What a trooper! He climbed over boulders twice his height and around boulders ten times larger yet! He hiked, he swam, he slid, and he reached the “summit” victoriously! Throughout the journey I would hear him humming away. Except for that humming, I’m not sure he ever stopped talking much. I knew that his eyes were always looking for critters. He would shriek joyfully at any new sight or sound, and he was the first to spot prawns or snail eggs on a rock in the water. Occasionally, he would say, “I can’t make it, but I’m making it.” Tim carried him for only about 5 minutes of the entire 3 ½ hour hike.
Lucas' new "pet" snail

We made it!

Hard work rewarded!
Looking back on the falls from the trail

Late in the afternoon, as darkness was quickly falling, we all climbed into the van thoroughly exhausted, but exhilarated from having accomplished such a challenging feat together!
8 comments:
What a beautiful story! And pictures!! Please tell my neice and nephews how proud I am of them...and also how much they are loved and missed. I check your blog every day (OK, usually a couple of times each day) and was SO HAPPY to see that it was updated. Wow, I thought that our trip to our "rock" was a journey until I read your story! Glad to hear that you guys enjoyed your selves and made it back SAFELY!
PS/ Is it time for you to come home yet?!
love,
Brenda
Glad it was worth the trek and glad to see a new post. Of course the kids are amazing - they have amazing parents!!! Glad you're getting to enjoy your new home and be a "tourist". love to all.
You are a precious and insightful mama to take a tough (and detouring) path and turn it into an opportunity to praise your children! Counting the days 'till we come to PNG!!!
howdy hikers!!!!
what a cool family adventure!!!
great photos!!! sure wish we could have been with you ---
we just put mimi and pappa on the plane to go see you this morning --friday 08 feb. they will be with you in no-time.
tim, so cool to get your emails.
when are you possibly coming thru iah? march 14,15 or 16?
we love all of you!!!!
phil, shannon, destin and drake
I'm with Brenda. Isn't it time for you to come home yet? Just kidding!!! I'm so happy you guys are going on great adventures and creating awesome memories for your family. I only wish I were there to share them with you. I love you guys so much!
Love,
Mom
AWESOME pictures and terrific qualities you found in your kids. If you can't brag, who can?!:) So glad to see you are all doing so wonderfully. We'll continue our prayers. MISS YOU much!
Love,
Sharon & the boys
wow, first of all, i would never have imagined that you, stacy, would be up to a hike like that! LOL...but the falls is wonderful! i'm sure your kids are wonderful because they have excellent examples in you! God bless.
Friday night, we watched Swiss Family Robinson and the girls wanted to know if you too were living on a deserted island, treking around in the woods...pretty close..any pirates yet?? Have the boys captured any tigers and elephants as pets? Perhaps rode an ostrich? If you haven't seen the movie watching it when you get back in the states will be fun!
We went "camping" with 4H. "Camping" - Oletta River in airconditioned cabins with electric and a bathroom 25 ft away. We're progressing!
You are creating memories which will last a lifetime! and reminding those of us stateside how much our children really are capable of.
You always seem to find the golden lining in all God brings your way. We miss you!!!
Post a Comment